Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Thing Thursdays: The other D-Mo

Since getting back to Des Moines, I’ve been in a BBQ state of mind. We hit up Shane’s Rib Shack for lunch last week (surprisingly good and snappy vinegar-based sauces – I don’t know why, but I wasn’t expecting much) and have grilled numerous times, dousing my burgers in Sweet Baby Ray’s. But, no BBQ can live up to my gold standard – ribs from Dexter BBQ in Dexter, Missouri.

And that is why my one thing you should do if life ever places you in the boot-heel of my home state is head straight to Dexter BBQ.

It doesn’t look like much. In fact, it looks suspiciously like an old KFC. But, my friends, you aren’t there to gaze upon the glory of southern Missouri architecture. You’re there for some pig.

The ribs are dry-rubbed and smoked, so there’s enough flavor that you don’t need any sauce. It’s life-changing. Because they are dry, they also travel really well (hint hint to those of you enlightened readers who may be road tripping this summer). Even cold, these ribs kick the ass (?) of any other rib I have encountered. There’s another BBQ restaurant across the street, the Hickory Log, but don’t be fooled. Dexter BBQ or bust.

In short, I’m hoping Hubs buys a smoker soon and can make peace with having a wife who eats a rack of ribs daily.

If you have time for two things in Dexter, get your teeth cleaned. My uncle’s the dentist in town (and a loyal blog reader – yay for those!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory