Friday, May 28, 2010

Farm fresh

Last night, I picked up our very first CSA share! CSAs (community supported agriculture) are rad little farms that sell shares and you get a variety of farm-fresh veggies every week. I've been wanted to get a share for the past few years, but never had the cash to spare (they can be a couple hundred dollars for the summer).

We used the Homestead, which is a small farm in Pleasant Hill, Iowa that operates a CSA and trains and supports autistic adults. I thought it was pretty cool that we could get local, fresh veggies delivered to our neighborhood weekly by a program that is also helping the community. Talk about multi-tasking!

Anyway, here's our bounty!

We're splitting a share with our neighbor, so this is technically half a share, but you can see it's plenty to keep us busy for a week. I was hoping for some asparagus to pickle (a la Diana at A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa) but oh well!

We started with a yummy spinach pizza. 

Can't wait to see what we get next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm adventurous enough to sign up for that! It would be chanting no-whammy each week since I only like oh about 3 vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory