In my mind, my birthday signals the real start of spring. I remember growing up, it seemed like my birthday was always sunny and 72 and involved lots of trees with full-blown leaves. With the happy occasion coming up in two weeks and nary a leaf nor a bud on any tree within 100 miles of DeMo, I’m a little disappointed. Last year, it had the audacity to snow on my big day. Unappreciated. It’s not looking quite that bad, we’ve hit 60 a few times and we even opened our windows Sunday to air the old homestead out.
But, I’m dreaming of more. For Mother Nature’s convenience, I have listed out my late spring/summertime demands:
- An entire day spent in my redneck inflatable swimming pool with good mellow music, hubs and a smattering of cold beverages.
- An after dinner bike ride to get ice cream at Snookie’s.
- Morning runs.
- Float trips with sunburns, snacks, pups and hippies.
- Naps on my couch with the windows open.
- Watching my now-seeds, plants-to-be Moonflowers open up at dusk.
- Bonfires and tank tops at night.
- Bocce tournaments.
- Snacking on homegrown cherry tomatoes.
- Fried zucchini.
- Bunches of flowers from the Farmer’s Market.
- Eating on patios, both mine and those of restaurants.
- The smell of fresh cut grass.
- Sweating outside of the gym.
- Demo-ing the old deck with a ragtag group of friendly volunteers.
- Movie night in the backyard.
- Cats that look like this.
What are your seasonal demands?