Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Basement Boogie: Thinkin' pink

Sunday was a real whiz-bang day for the mole-people of this blog. Hubs spent the day playing with the Rotozip the house generously gave him for Christmas (thereby upstaging the totally awesome polos I gave him. Because the house looooves to make me look cheap. (Have I crossed that crazy line yet? I feel like this is getting really close to hoarding cats and talking only through the magical art of  puppetry.)) and sealing up the sump pump so we can finally pass a radon test. (My pals at the American Lung Association tell me this month is National Radon Action Month, so if you live in a high-risk area, it's a great time to get your house checked out.)

Meanwhile, I was left to my own devices and a stack of 24 sheets of Foamular insulation.

I cut them to size (they all had to be taken down about a foot to accommodate for our short ceiling) and punched out places for weird bump-outs and windows.


Then, I slapped some caulk on the back and smooshed the panel on the wall before taping them together with my new favorite thing - Tyvek tape. It looks wimpy, but is quite sticktastic (word coinage!).

Now, with the exterior walls wrapped in insulation, you can really feel the difference. Going below ground in a t-shirt in January was not a thing in our "old" basement. Now, it's totally comfortable - maybe just three to five degrees cooler than upstairs. Imagine how amazingly toasty it will be once we put in two baseboard heaters.

Oh. To be lounging in my basement in a t-shirt, shorts and no slippers. In February. What a dream!

Also, in case you haven't heard the great news: my BFF Reba is coming back to Iowa this summer. This can only mean one thing; I have to start plotting t-shirts and dips for Preba II.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory