Last night was supposed to be the night we finished (ok, and started) wiring so that the electrical inspector could come by today and the building inspector could come tomorrow and we'd be drywalling this weekend.
We were thwarted:
- We had forgot single gang outlet boxes, so I ran to Ace.
- I got the wrong kind of box, so Hubs made a mad dash to Ace before they closed. (Des Moines, if you open a 24 hour hardware store, I promise to be a loyal customer.)
- Niles, the new cat who has eaten raw pork, a tube of cat laxatives, salmon skin, wasabi and other trash (we aren't bad cat parents, we're just still learning how to cat-proof EVERYTHING. This guy is worse than a goat.), got into a bowl of leftover Christmas candy we had on the kitchen counter. Which included three mini chocolates. Which we knew was poisonous to dogs and quickly confirmed via Google that the same could apply to cats.
Hubs returned to the basement while I called the local 24-hour vet, who promptly laughed at me and referred me to the ASPCA poison hotline since she had no experience with cats eating chocolate. The vet on that line said she'd never dealt with cats eating chocolate either. Niles is a true pioneer in his field.
And don't worry, he's going to be fine. We're watching his eating and (ahem) de-eating habits for the next few days, but both vets said that the small amount of chocolate he consumed would likely just cause some tummy troubles for a day or two and nothing serious.
- When I got back to the basement, we discovered that the Romex cables we had cut nicked the actual wire and left it exposed (hello, fire risk!). So, we needed to re-wire about half of the work we had managed to get done.
- It was 11:30, Fraiser was on and we were tired.
This puts us a few days behind schedule, but we still have plenty we can do this weekend, including build shelves for a recess that has no electrical behind it, frame out the pantry we're creating in the storage room, shop for curtains, order floors, put railings on the stairs and NOT schedule a radon fan installation. Because our current level is perfectly safe! $1,500 - I'm so glad we aren't going our separate ways.
Thanks for reading this Negative Nancy post. To reward you for your loyalty - I'd like to treat you to this wobbly and motion-sickness inducing video tour of the basement (taken sometime last week, before framing).
Basement "during" tour