Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It's not a special occasion if you didn't gain three pounds

Hubs and I trekked over to Chicago for Labor Day weekend for non-stop celebrations. Friday was our 300 day anniversary, so we stopped for a nice dinner in Iowa City at Atlas. While my sweet corn bisque was good, the service was totally lame (the waiter had the audacity to take our appetizer plate before I had finished the pesto drizzle! I had my last bite in my hand, about to re-dip when he snatched it. The guy is lucky he didn't end his shift with a black eye) and Hubs' jerk chicken was flavorless.

Saturday we shopped around a bit and picked up some staples we can't get here in good old Des Moines. (Three buck chuck is considered a staple, right?) A little family party capped off the night.

Sunday was our big day - we'd been holding off on celebrating my new gig and Hubs' well-earned promotion until this trip. We headed to the west loop and brunched at the Publican, where we had some amazing food and equally amazing beer (beer with brunch? Not normally, but it was vacation). If you're ever in Chicago and have a hankering for a hard-to-find brew and some bacon, I highly recommend this place.

The rest of the afternoon, we bounced around bars and restaurants, meeting up with Hubs' hometown pals.

How was your Labor Day weekend?

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Then our family reunion at Grand Lake was, without a doubt, a special occassion. We both ate and drank A LOT! Fantastic times!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory