Friday, February 4, 2011

Basement Boogie: Happy smiling faces

Why am I grinning ear-to-ear?
  1. It's Wear Red Day! And I got to hear some amazing stories from survivors and women who are doing everything they can to keep their hearts healthy. It was an inspiring and uplifting day (made even better by getting all the local news channels to cover our event - but that's just the PR geek in me).
  2. We PASSED our second major inspection - the building inspection -yesterday! It was the same city inspector who looked at our deck (you know, the project with at least three failed inspections?). He stopped by for our supposed final (we failed) deck inspection the day I was hauling all of the wet carpet out of the basement (picture me: drenched in nasty basement water, covered in carpet pad bits, muttering A LOT of bad words), so Hubs said he was glad to see we were building it all back up.
    •  That means drywall is up next (after a quick happy dance, of course).
  3. Our furnace fans stopped working last night and I woke up to a house that was 57 degrees and getting colder. Not so cool when it's my busiest work day of the year! But, I'm smiling because good old Hubs handled the furnace guys and got everything all fixed up today (it was a simple fix - no new furnace for us yet).
  4. New reader, Amber, inspired me to list out what projects we're doing in the basement versus what we pawned off on the pros. Turns out, it's a damn impressive list and I would like my Girl Scout badge for DIYing now, please.
    • Paid someone:
      • Mold remediation
      • Waterproofing (interior French drain)
      • Furnace fans (though we tried to fix the problem ourselves)
      • Window installation (hasn't happened yet, but will next week or so
And so, it is time to celebrate! And by celebrate, I mean have a glass of wine and maybe a homemade bagel before I change back into a mole and get back to work in the basement. No rest for the wicked around here.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Simply put!! Great work and thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys have really been hard at work. I see pictures of a party in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory