Thursday, February 11, 2010

Makin' do

We go to the grocery store a lot - like three times a week. Considering there are just two people in this house, it's a little extreme. So, this week, we decided to make do with what we had. Turns out, armed with Google and some flour, we are pretty crafty animals.

We resorted to some old standbys - nachos, hummus, pasta - but, we had some serious high notes.

Like these easy, buttermilkless biscuits (hell yes we added cheese!) sprinkled with some herbs and melted butter to accompany a pasta dinner and then repurposed to become from-scratch biscuits and gravy for a weekday breakfast (are we good Midwestern folk or what?).

I also used our last remaining egg to make some bagels. A mix of everything and Swiss cheese toppings means these can pull triple duty as breakfast, part of a lunch or a snack. And I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you hubs claims these are the best bagels I've made yet. I'd also be remiss if I didn't tell you I couldn't agree more.

I'm planning one more carb-loaded treat this weekend, Pioneer Woman's buttered rosemary rolls, making the dough from scratch. (Where would I be in the kitchen without Pioneer Woman? Rolling on the ground, covered in flour, weeping? It's possible.) Hubs will also be making a big batch of refried beans because we just now discovered how good they can be when they aren't from a can.

I'm sure Valentine's Day at our house will be just dripping with romance - two bloated, bean-stuffed newlyweds and a 19-pound cat. Fine by us, we sit this holiday out as a matter of principle each year anyway. Because we like being snobby snobs that don't get caught up in commercial lovefests.

What are you cooking up this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory