Thursday, January 3, 2013

In which I resolve

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions. It just seems kind of arbitrary, so I usually prefer to make goals and deadlines based on how my year roles, not the calendar.

Maybe it's the fact that 2013 is going to be so obviously loaded with change and goodness that has me a little more resolved. Maybe I'm old and weak and more susceptible to media hype. I can't really tell, but here are my resolutions for 2013:
  1. Grow, birth and love a healthy, happy baby. Obviously. Is it too much to ask that I have fun while doing these things? I like to think not: Party on, Sober-30th-Birthday! Rock out, Active Labor! Whooooooo hooo, Fourth Trimester!
  2. Participate in the Des Moines Half Marathon (which should be about six months post-baby). I don't need to run the whole thing and if I finish totally dead stinkin' last (Less-Than-Fun-Fact: I was the second to last woman in my age group to finish the Drake Relays Half last spring. What I'm saying is: I know the bitter taste of almost-losing.), I won't even care. I just want to try. I miss running my guts out every Saturday morning and working toward a big goal. Also, I miss thighs that aren't a fire hazard in corduroys. 
  3. Knit before it gets too hot. I have to finish remaking Hubs' Christmas stocking, make the newbie one and finally make Hubs a scarf that I promised him way back when he first gifted me with the knitting class that got all this started (cough, cough two years ago).
  4. Slow down. Things are about to get real up in here and I'd like to take more time to stop, look around and be all "Holy crap, how did I get so damn lucky?" every now and again. Not really measurable, but these are New Year's Resolutions, not a marketing plan.
What about you guys? Link to your "goal posts" in the comments! (Like how I got all sporty right at the end, there?)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I start prenatal yoga tonight, but there's no way in hellz I'll be running a 1/2 marathon this calendar year.

    I totally hear you about being present. When I have 10 free minutes, I find a way to schedule them and then every month it feels like I'm hurdling to the next thing that I need to just get off my plate so I can calm down and chillax a little. Finishing grad school is also on my list! Hoping to walk across that stage all ginormous in May without my water breaking in front of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am creating so much pressure to do things before the baby comes, but then it will be a list of things to do on leave or things to do before she starts crawling, etc. No time like the present to get all molasses slow!

      Delete
  2. These are great goals! Being present and slowing down in something I try to work on daily. It's really nice when you look around and DON'T take things for granted. You just realize what you have around you!

    And excited to see your finished mural in the baby's room!

    http://www.molliessprinklesoflife.com/2012/12/2013-goals-and-look-back-at-2012.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory