Thursday, September 17, 2009

Buh-tay-duhs

Last night, wandering the aisles of the grocery store, I spotted a huge crate of speciality pumpkins (i.e. whites ones I am trying so very hard to grow on my own). Alas, at $5 a pop, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Spurred by my find and the need to gussy up our reception table, HTB suggested we consider using butternut squash instead. Similar color and still a very fall-ish veggie. I concurred and decided that if my pumpkins fall short of my goals, I'd be running to the supermarket the night before the wedding for some gourds.

Could have stopped there, right? Problem solved with butternut filler squash.

No. I was determined to squeeze one more good idea from the produce section. And so was born the idea of a potato and onion centerpiece. I was half-way joking, but HTB seemed to like the idea and the more we talked, the better it sounded. Pretty piles of russets, yams and fingerlings, all softly lit by a sea of tealights - earthy and harvest-y, right?

See, I'm not alone!

I'm not sure this idea will ever make it to my wedding, but it really put my mind at ease to know that last-minute centerpieces will be just blocks away if my tables are looking nekkid the day before the wedding!

What are some of the more unconventional centerpeices you've seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Directory